- The Rev. Philip Mathews and his wife Rebecca Davant owned two plantations, Sand Hill and Folly Field. The combined holding was often called Mathews’ Land.
- Part of Sand Hill was erroneously included in Marshlands and sold to Negroes.
- The Mathews’ heirs redeemed the remaining 200 acres on July 10, 1874.
- W. D. Brown bought 500 acres of Folly Field in 1876, when he also acquired Possum Point and Cherry Hill.
- Will Clyde
- Roy Rainey
- Thorne and Loomis
Hack, "Hilton Head, South Carolina, before 1861"
Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Holmgren, Hilton Head Island Research