Oak Grove Church

On the foundations of Zion Episcopal Chapel at the head of Broad Creek, amidst a magnificent grove of ancient live oaks, island Negroes built their own Oak Grove Baptist Church circa 1885 and there continued the worship of Almighty God. The Church has since moved across the public road, now Mathews Drive, some two hundred yards nearer to Big Gate.

  • Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.30