General Information - Location – on the banks of Skull Creek
- Henry Talbird, received from Crown as partial payment for supplying bricks.
- John Talbird inherited
- Henry (Yorktown) Talbird
Buildings - Plantation house burned by loyalist unit in 1782; rebuilt after the Revolution
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names
Hilton Head Plantation
This property was given to John Talbot by his father, Henry, at the time of his marriage to one of the Ladson sisters. The deed recorded in London misspelled the name Talbird which was adopted by the family. He had two sons, John and Thomas. The meadows along the road to Seabrook Landing are still referred to as "Talbot Field" .
During the Revolutionary War the plantation house was burned by the British. The officer in charge was John's brother, Thomas. John was a patriot prisoner of the British in Charleston. Thomas did allow the servants to remove all the household belongings before the house was burned.
A son, Henry, was born October, 19, 1781.
A new home was built on Skull Creek after the war. Some of the land was sold in 1784 but the family lived on the property until after the turn of the century. In 1810 a grandson, also Henry, was born.
- Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle, p. 54-57
The site of a possible freedman's house.
Site also indicates evidence of several discrete shell middens of the Middle to Late Woodland St. Catherine's sites. Recommended for National Register of Historic Places.
- Chicora Research Series 13, Archaeological Testing of Six Sites on Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina, p. 54, 70 (Source materials listed in survey)
"Over on Skull Creek John Talbird and his wife, Mary Ann Ladson, had a pre-Revolutionary War plantation which was given to him by his grandfather, Henry Talbird. This land had been granted Henry Talbird in part payment for his supplying the bricks and building the first Tybee Island Lighthouse. Mary Ann Ladson Talbird added to this her inheritance from her grandfather Conyers of his adjoining plantation. Their daughter, Ann, married Dr. Samuel Fyler...After Dr. Fyler died on 11 October 1821 and was buried in Zion Churchyard, his widow sold her island lands...During the Revolutionary War the British burned every plantation home in the Skull Creek area, including that of Lt. John Talbird, and carried off every slave they could catch for resale in the West Indies."
- Peeples, Robert, Tales of Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island Families, p. 7