Off Beach City Road
Also see Cherry Hill Plantation, Sand Hill Plantation, Churches and Cemeteries
This seems to have been part of either Cherry Hill Plantation or Sand Hill Plantation located off what is today Beach City Road with Cherry Hill being directly inland from Fish Haul Plantation and Sand Hill immediately to the west of Cherry Hill. A map depicting the island before 1861 shows a Praise House on Cherry Hill land. The oldest existing church on the island, the First African Baptist Church, established in 1863, is located near here as is Queen Chapel AME Church, established around 1892. Area named in honor of owner, W.D. Brown who had acquired 400 acres in 1876 from two Confederate brothers, John and Rollin Kirk. First African Baptist Church is located there.
- Grant, Moses, Looking Back, p. 15