Fort Fremont was built in 1899 by the Army Corps of Engineers using local labor on condemned private property on Saint Helena Island across the Beaufort River from the Naval Station. It was designed to play a vital role in the protection of the Navy's dry dock and coaling station which remained critical to the Atlantic Fleet during the Spanish American War period.
The main weapon systems consisted of three 10-inch breech-loaded disappearing cannons and two 4.7-inch rapid fire guns.
Come to hear Joe Lee from The Friends of Fort Fremont talk about the exciting things they are been doing with the site.
Call the Heritage Library at 843-686-6560