Snake Island (Deer Island)
As early as 1783 the small island between Long Island and the main body of Hilton Head was designated Snake Island, doubtlessly because it was low, little used by humans and consequently highly infested with reptiles. In its entirety it lay within Lot 44 of Bayley’s Barony, later Calibogia Plantation. In its present commercialization, the name has been euphemistically altered to Deer Island although there are few deer or snakes there any longer.
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 38