Steamboat Landing

Jenkins Island Plantation House stood beside a deep-water dock on  Skull Creek, the regular landing place for the steamboats plying the run from Savannah to Beaufort to Charleston.  This landing site was restored and expanded to serve the State Highway Department’s ferry service until its termination in 1956 with the opening of the James F. Byrnes Crossing.  It should not be confused with Ferry Point Landing on the Calibogue Sound side of Jenkins Island.

  • Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 38