Hogg Island Plantation
General Information - Located north of Windmill Harbor, northeast of Ferry Point and southeast of Last End Point. [Source: Mapcarta]
- Purchased by Captain John Gascoigne in 1729.
- Isaac Jenkins (See Jenkins’ Island Plantation)
- William Pope, Sr.
- Joseph Pope
Map - "Hack, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, before 1861"
- Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
- Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names
The 1733 advertisement of Captain John Gascoigne, offering his Hilton Head Island plantation for sale, calls it Hogg Island, apparently referring to the whole of what is now Jenkins Island. The tiny island at its northern tip retained the name until recently, now being called largely Blue Heron Point. The ‘hogg’ spelling was doubtlessly an attempted similar upgrading of less lovely ‘hog’. No Hogg family ever owned it.
- Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.21