Lighthouse Landing

The federal government retained enough acreage of confiscated Leamington on which to erect a lighthouse in 1881.  On Broad Creek, at the point where Shipyard and Leamington met, a dock was built in order to land supplies for the maintenance of the lighthouse and for World War II Camp McDougal which flourished only briefly. The dock has since burned..

  • Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 25