Braddock's Point Plantation
General Information -
• Location - southern end of the island, Lots 46 and 47 of Bayley’s Barony.
• Origin of name - Both the promontory at the junction of Calibogue Sound and the Atlantic Ocean and Braddock’s Point Plantation were named for David Cutler Braddock, Captain of the Scout Boat maintained by the Colony of South Carolina as a lookout against the Spaniards from 1740 until the 1763 Treaty of Paris.
• See Also Stoney-Baynard Plantation
• Leased by John Gambol and James Gray.
• John Mark Verdier – bought Lot 46 of 397 acres 20 April 1785 (?) for 600 pounds from Peter Bayley.
• In 1776 Captain John Stoney (1757-1821) bought the 1000 acres from Beaufort merchant John Mark Verdier and, around 1793, began building the mansion house whose ruins can be seen today.
• Captain James Stoney (1772-1827), his son, inherited the property.
• Dr. George Mosse Stoney next inherited the property.
• “Saucy Jack” Stoney given the plantation in 1838.
• In 1845 William Eddings Baynard purchased the heavily mortgaged property from the bank for $10,000.
• Catherine Adelaide and William Eddings Baynard inherited in 1849.
• Redeemed by sons after confiscation. (See also Spanish Wells)
• In 1893 Elizabeth Baynard Ullmer filed suit against the other heirs to establish the claim of the children of the deceased Ephraim to share in the estate. The court ordered the land sold to satisfy her claim, and in 1894 Braddock’s Point and Spanish Wells were bought by Will Clyde.
• William P. Clyde (1894)
• Roy A. Rainey (1919)
• Thorne and Loomis (1931)
• Hilton Head Company (1951)
• 1000 acres
• Crops: Sea Island cotton, corn, peas, sweet potatoes
Hack, "Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, before 1861"
Mosse, "Hilton Head Island, 1783. Lots 46, 47"
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names.
The Museum of Hilton Head, The Stoney-Baynard Ruins, a Self-Guiding Walk.