Sand Hill Plantation
General Information -
Location – included, in part, Lot 21 of Bayley’s Barony
Other names – Mathew’s
Richard Bland; see Bland Plantation
Rev. Philip Mathews, rector of Zion Chapel, and his wife, Rebecca Davant 1793-1859); inherited by Rebecca from her father. They also owned Marshlands Plantation (q.v.)
Redeemed by Mathews heirs on July 10, 1874. (See also Mathew’s Plantation)
William Clyde, 1894
Thorne and Loomis
Land - 600 acres (314 in Lot 21)
Hack, "Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, before 1861"
Mosse, "Hilton Head Island, 1783 Lot 21"
Holmgren, Research on Hilton Head Island
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names
The Reverend Philip Mathews and his wife Rebecca Davant owned two plantations. Both plots were often called 'Mathew's Land'...Part of Sand Hill had been included with Marshlands in a government surveyor's error and sold to Negroes, so only two hundred acres were redeemable by Mathew's heirs on July 10, 1874...They sold the Mathew's land to Clyde and ownership passed from him to Rainey and then to Thorne and Loomis."
- Holmgren, Virginia C., Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle, p. 130
"...Rebecca Davant married Rev. Philip Mathews, priest-in-charge of Zion Chapel, and inherited... 600 acre Sand Hill Plantation near the head of Broad Creek..."
- Peeples, Robert, Tales of Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island Families, p. 8
The home of Rev. Philip Mathews, Rector of Zion Chapel, and his wife, Rebecca Davant (1793-1859), daughter of James and Lydia Davant, was 600 acre Sand Hill Plantation, the basic portion of which, 314 acre Lot 21 of Bayley’s Barony, land formerly held by Richard Bland and by her uncle Charles Davant, was inherited by Rebecca from her father.
- Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.35